Sunday, April 10, 2011

yogi_Compute Time Difference in Milliseconds


Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.                                         Google Spreadsheet                            www.energyefficientbuild.com

copspt said:
I am doing this spreadsheet where I keep track of time trials/lap times in a game.
What I wanted to do is to subtract time between 2 players laps to get the diference (mm,ss,mls)
i.e. 1.20.121 - 1.20.122 = -0.001
The problem is that Google Apps does not have a time format with mm,ss,mls, therefore I cannot do the subtraction.
Is there a workaround for this?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the following solution I entered the Times in column A as Text entries ... then computed the difference between successive entries by coercing the text entries into their numeric equivalent ... and then used the TEXT function to have the ouput as HH:mm:ss.SSS in Hours, minutes, seconds, and milliseconds



1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    i can't get this working, maybe something is changed from when this solution was posted.
    I opened a discussion in google groups:

    https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/docs/S0RIbRfQ4g8/OE0ZQmRKecAJ

    can you help me?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete