Wednesday, July 13, 2011

yogi_Set Up Spreadsheet So That New Entries From A Form Appear On The Top

Google Spreadsheet
noratorious said:
How do I set up my spreadsheet so that new entries from a form appear on the top?
I have a google spreadsheet which is attached to a form.
I have made the spreadsheet and form public and embedded them on my Google site so that visitors may input their information which is added to the spreadsheet when they submit (and refresh the page). Visitors can also view the spreadsheet and see what others have added.
I want to be able to alter the settings of how the form inputs new submissions onto the spreadsheet so that new submissions appear at the top as opposed to at the bottom. How do I do this?
------------------------------------------------------------------
In the following , I have named the sheet receiving the data form Form submittals as ResponseTable, and then I created a sheet named sisterSheet which pulls the data from ResponseTable and I use the SORT function to have the data presented in descending order. I can optionally hide the ResponseTable sheet if necessary.

here is a simple Form I had set up for purpose of presentation:
<iframe src="https://spreadsheets6.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGRLaTQzNFJ5QUF0bHN3QmpVanA5S0E6MQ" width="760" height="623" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0">Loading...</iframe>

and here is the spreadsheet ... wherein I can hide the ResponseTable sheet if necessary

9 comments:

  1. Hi Yogi... Your formula works when the timestamp is in column A but I could not modify the formula to make it work on sheets where timestamp is on column B. Is there a way to do it in such sheets?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi t:

    With the Timestamp in column B, it should not be difficult to modify the formula ... can you share your spreadsheet with me and show me what formula you used so I can see where the problem is ... and then let us take it from there.

    Cheers!
    Yogi
    Cloud Computing -- Google Docs Way
    yogi--anand-consulting.blogspot.com


    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi yogi,

    thanks for the quick answer.

    here is a portion of the spreadsheet...

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhTuOyyixW2wdGF6eTlQYV9ndGdVQmtGWkZDblFUbWc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi t:

    for a solution to your problem ...
    I have added the following:
    user_t_Sheet_A
    user_t_Sheet_A_sorted
    in this blog post.

    I hope this helps.

    Cheers!
    Yogi
    Cloud Computing -- Google Docs Way
    yogi--anand-consulting.blogspot.com


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same issue with t, the date is on my worksheet is on column B. where do I need to put the formula in order for the sort function to work? Thanks. Vhiel

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this Yogi. Is there a way to pull the data in and use the Sort function all in one sheet? Rather than creating a sister sheet to perform the sort function on?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Scott Swanson:

    It is best to leave the so called Form Responses sheet (in this solution named ResponseTable) alone ... this is a sort of database and should not be tampered with.

    The needed reports should always be generated separate from the database ... because many reports may need to be generated from the same database.

    Cheers!
    Yogi
    Cloud Computing -- Google Docs Way
    yogi--anand-consulting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i want to get auto sort filter 1 minutes once

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have three teachers using the same Google Form. I would like to set a sort filter so each time a student fill out a Google Form, it is automatically sorted by the Teacher's name. I know how to sort the sheet, but each new submission ends up at the end of the sheet and not sorted. Can you please help with this? I have spent 3 hours watching videos and still don't know how to do this. Thank you so much for your help!

    ReplyDelete