Sunday, August 7, 2011

yogi_Sum Numbers By Specific Column Heading With Multiple Row Criteria

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.                                         Google Spreadsheet                            www.energyefficientbuild.com
skiddooo said:
Sum numbers by specific col heading with multiple row criteria
I got a spreadsheet and want to sum it by specific crieteria and I'm not able to solve this problem by my self so I hope someone can help ^^
This is the Spreadsheet:
Course | Class Room | Peter | Paul
1 | Pluto | 8 | 4
1 | Pluto | 2 | 6
2 | Pluto | 8 | 4
2 | Mars  | 2 | 6
I want to know: How many hours did Peter spend in Class Room "Pluto" for Course "1"?
------------------------------------------------------------
I used primarily the FILTER function for this

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I too have a question in this category, i think... :-)
    I want to sum specific rows by the names like the following:
    I Monday I 1000 I
    I Tuesday I 1100 I
    I Monday I 1200 I
    I Tuesday I 1400 I
    I Monday I 1300 I
    I Tuesday I 1000 I

    How do i sum all "Monday"-rows and all "Tuesday"-rows without having to mark them manually? Can i create somekind of rule so i just need to say =sum(monday) for instance?

    Best regards
    Katrine (Denmark)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katrine:

    I can set it up so you can get the totals for any day and hour you want. It will be a good idea if you can share your spreadsheet with some sample data and your expected result(s). If you can not share the spreadsheet I will set up an illustration herein or in a separate post.

    Cheers!
    Yogi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katrine:

    I have created an illustration for you in the following post ...
    http://yogi--anand-consulting.blogspot.com/2011/10/yogisum-given-column-for-specified.html

    Please check it out to see how this works for you.

    Cheers!
    Yogi

    ReplyDelete