Saturday, December 31, 2011

yogi_Create A Pie Chart That Displays The Frequency With Which A Name Occurs In A Table

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.                                         Google Spreadsheet                            www.energyefficientbuild.com
user jacrvr said:
How do I create a chart that displays the frequency that data occurs in one and two columns?

I am a primary school teacher and I am still relatively new to google docs.  I would like to create a chart that displays the frequency that a student's name appears in a single column (i.e. column B).  When I type the range in the chart editor ('raw data'!B1:B107), I get the following message: "The required data format for the pie chart doesn't match the current data".

The strange thing is that this method has worked for me in a previous spreadsheet (the name of the main sheet is raw data in both cases) and I was able to generate a pie chart that gave a break down of the frequency a particular student's name appears in column B on a separate sheet.  When I scroll over the working pie chart, each piece belongs to one student and the number of times their name appears in column B is displayed along with a percentage associated with that name.  I am not sure why I can't reproduce the same results.  

I am very interested in learning how to chart the frequency a particular word or phrase appears in a single column and across multiple.  Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
------------------------------------------------------
following is a solution to the problem -- I have inserted a computed column shown in brown background to delineate the maximum frequency with which a name occurs in the table. The Pie Chart is then created for two columns B and G.

No comments:

Post a Comment