Tuesday, April 17, 2012

yogi_Search For An Entity Name And Its Specified AttriButes

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.       Google Spreadsheet    Post  #506    Apr 17, 2012     www.energyefficientbuild.com.

user Immarquet said:
"If/then" conditional formating" I want to set up an "if/then" parameter. 
I have a list of names and numbers. When I enter a name I want the phone and fax numbers attached to it to appear automatically in the cells next to the name. How do I do this? Thanks in advance for your help! 
----
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag_uOt1xbDOzdEs1LW9WOThSaFVOY0M2cFlfQ0tNd2c&pli=1#gid=0 
Here's a link to the spreadsheet. It contains the name of a bunch of housing associations. Some of the housing associations are managed by the same company with the same phone # and fax #. What I was trying to do was, when I typed the management company in the C column the related phone number and fax number appeared automatically in the D and E columns. Also, how do you make a certain row stay at the top? I know these questions are very simple and appreciate your help
---- 
Thank You Yogi 
Now I know how to freeze a row! But what about filtering? What I want is this: let's say I make a new row and add a new housing association. Let's say it's managed by a company that I've already entered in the spreadsheet, like "Argus." This is what I want. When I type "Argus" into the C column box, the corresponding phone and fax number appear automatically in the D and E boxes. Explain how I would do this pls. 
---------------------------------------------------------------
following is a solution to the problem
 

2 comments:

  1. Argus has many phone numbers but your answer...
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi penas:

    You started with a thought ... and then left it suspended in mid-air. I surmise 'what you are saying there are many phone and fax numbers for Argus (Mgmt Co.) in column C, so how come my formulation extracted only one phone and fax number each?'

    So, allow me ... the OP said if he enters an Association name in a cell, the association phone and fax numbers should show up ... so going with that for the Association name Argus in column A, there is only one phone and fax number each.

    Please let me know what you think.

    Cheers!
    Yogi
    Cloud Computing -- Google Docs Way
    yogi--anand-consulting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete