Sunday, May 27, 2012

yogi_Expand An Item Count Into Corresponding Number Of Rows For Two Columns

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.       Google Spreadsheet    Post  #565    May 27, 2012     www.energyefficientbuild.com.

this is an extension of the problem for which I had posted a solution in my following blog post:
http://yogi--anand-consulting.blogspot.com/2012/05/yogiexpand-item-count-into.html
-----
as an extension of the earler problem, user fearless said 
Okay, I have a solution that uses VLOOKUP in what I feel is a much cleaner approach.  I've posted my solution in:
The gist of it is that I use VLOOKUP as follows:
 =if(C23)>=$C$19,"",VLOOKUP(C23;$C$12:$E$18;2;true))
... where the first row of the array (C12, C13, ....) contains the running sum of the quantities so far. Take a look - it's relatively simple.
- ff
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great Job by user fearless.
There is generally more than one approach to a problem ... which solution is better is a mute point, because a solution has to fit the user's comfort level, project preferences, project constraints and so on. Also as situation evolves, one may begin to prefer another solution compared to the one one had chosen to use in a different situation, under different circumstances.

In any event, following is my single array formula without using any helper columns, or multiple helper formulas ... different YES! ... convoluted YES! ... better ... Don't Ask Me! ... it all depends on your situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment