Friday, January 23, 2015

yogi_Compute From Table In Sheet1 Number Of Days By Name For Each Of The Attributes In DropDownList In Cell A1

             Google Spreadsheet   Post  #1884
Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.      ANAND Enterprises LLC -- Rochester Hills MI     www.energyefficientbuild.com.   Jan-23-2015
post by  Russell Haner - NOAA Federal:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!mydiscussions/docs/IAAmSIla9sc
Names, Dates, and Cell Values
Aargh!
I have a spread sheet with column A being a list of names.
Row 1 is the dates for a year (365 columns).
Each name and date combination can have one of three values.

In a separate sheet, with 13 columns (column A is names, column B-L are months), I would like to show how many of a given value a given name has during a month.

For instance an employee can be "at work", "on call", or "on vacation" for any given day.

I'd like to identify how many days that a given employee was "on call" in July.


Of course, the actual spreadsheet is 300+ names and a full year, so it's a bit ungainly.

Ideally I'd like to be able to select a name from a drop down list and have the monthly totals auto fill.

thanks,
Russell
---
The gist of it is that I want to summarize a year's worth of personnel status "ready, willing, or able", by month.

the excel spreadsheet that I've attached is downloaded from Google, so should be the same.  I tried to share the actual google sheet, but that didn't seem to work.

When I tried to use countif functions to look at the name in column A, the dates in row 2, and the cell values , I got an error that the countifs functions were not the same size. 

I think it would work with countif functions if I had a single column with 365 row entries for each name, the next three columns would identify the date for each person, each day, and the next column would have the daily status, but that would mean that the table would be 365 rows for each employee...not a problem if there's only a few, but with 300+, it gets too unwieldy. 

Thanks,
Russell
Attachments (1)
Names, Dates, and Cell Values.xlsx
9 KB   View   Download

No comments:

Post a Comment