Wednesday, April 5, 2017

yogi_Operate On Entries Made As Decimals Or Fractions (google sheet does not recognize entries made as fractions as numbers)

Google Spreadsheet   Post  #2143
Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.      ANAND Enterprises LLC -- Rochester Hills MI     www.energyefficientbuild.com.   Apr-05-2017
I'm trying to create a spreadsheet that will help me generate a list of dimensions to build things to. What I need to do is be able to type a fraction in one cell and have it calculate a dimension into another cell. I have the calculation set up and works great when inputting numbers using decimals but does not work at all using fractions. Most of my inputs are in fractions to the 1/16" and sometimes 1/32" so converting them to decimals before putting them in the sheet is just a giant inconvenience. In excel I can input a fraction and it will use the decimal form in the calculation (while still showing the fraction) and it's so easy. Does Google Sheets not convert fractions to decimals for the purpose of calculation?

EX. I need to take off 3/32" from each input that I give. I need to be able to input dimensions such as 5 9/16" or 8 1/4" and have it calculate. Currently I am having to input as 5.5625 or 8.25 respectively and it takes too much time trying to figure out the decimals myself. Basically I would like to put in 5 9/16" and have it automatically convert it. Is this possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment